TenTec

[TenTec] DSP reports--suggestion/request

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DSP reports--suggestion/request
From: AC5E@aol.com (AC5E@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 14:51:58 2003
Well, the Omni VI+ DSP is excellent on CW, pretty decent on SSB. Not that
it's anything you would want to use during an evening ragchew - because that
would get annoying pretty quickly.  Just like every other signal massager
that's come through here.

But any comparison is meaningless unless you say what you are comparing it
to.

In  my case, I originally compared the Plus to my Timewave 599zx, if that is
the right number, and decided the Plus was superior in both modes. So the
Timewave went into dead storage. Since then I have compared them, the two
Option 3's and the Plus, to most of the outboard DSP units on the market as
well as comparing them directly to the built in DSP in the rigs that have
been brought over for a shootout. On performance where it counts, digging a
weak signal out of the mud, the Plus has a clear advantage over most of the
others. Conversely, none of the other DSP units had any obvious advantage
over the Plus.

I still have a couple of Clearspeech speakers/DSP units laying around the
shack to use if I ever put the 847 back in the truck, there they are,  and
for a casual comparison you might prefer the less effective CS unit - but the
Plus DSP gives you much more help copying signals buried in the noise.

That is all it's good for, but that's all I use it for. The rest of the time
it's off.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E