TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Orion 565 failure due to electromigration of solder

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 565 failure due to electromigration of solder
From: Gary J FollettDukes HiFi <dukeshifi@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 23:39:38 -0500
The definition of electromigration is migration of conductor material in a
circuit trace due to the momentum transfer from charge carriers (usually
electrons) flowing in the conductor traces and the phenomenon bears
characteristics of diffusion. The species undergoing electro migration need not
be ionic, or charged in any way. The electron flow is simply pushing the
conductor metal out of the way.

Electromigration CAN NOT TAKE PLACE in the absence of significant current
density flow in the conductor in question.

In electromigration, conductors migrate atomistically in a direction orthogonal
to a current flow, causing flow of conductor material in a path that leads away
from the conducting trace. This phenomenon can cause either a short circuit to
an adjacent trace or an open circuit in the trace if sufficient material
migrates. Much effort to reduce this effect, especially in Aluminum
metallization in IC chips, was undertaken in the late 1970’s. Electromigration
on the macro scale, the size of PC boards and associated parts, has never been
documented.

More likely what you saw was solder whisker formation, a recurrence of what
took place decades ago with low Lead solders and which is coming to the
foreground once again with Lead-free formulations. These whiskers can grow due
to heat, stress and other environmental stresses, mostly in purer metals, but
can also take place in certain alloys (no need for current flow) and cause the
formation of short circuiting bridges as you describe. The small sizes of the
whiskers, on the order of the wavelength of light, is what gives rise to the
whitish appearance. These types of whiskers caused failures in satellites and
in some nuclear power plant metering systems. The term “electromigration” is
incorrectly applied to this phenomenon even in Wikipedia. They correct their
mistake later in their discussion when they point out that no current flow is
required for whisker formation to take place. Current flow is required for
electromigration to take place, though the current can be a corrosion current
in an appropriate corrosion cell.

They do show some pretty cool images of such whiskers, many of them several
millimeters in length, more than enough to cause the problems you experienced.

If you had a small sample of the stuff you removed, I could send you some nice
scanning electron microscope images of them along with their compositions… That
would take about 15 to 30 minute of my time.

73

Gary