TenTec

[TenTec] S meter and RF gain

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] S meter and RF gain
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 18:17:01 -0500
<<<  With the new RF gain S meter interaction, the S meter is
always correct if the signal is above the RF gain setting>>>

 >IF THE SIGNAL IS ABOVE THE RF GAIN SETTINGS..... This is
precisely my point,  if the signal is NOT above the rf gain
setting then NO s meter reading is available,  whether
accurate or not, having the s meter to read actively all the
time gives you an idea  of what the relative strength of the
other stations signal is and you can quickly give him a report.

         But Toby...if you set RF Gain just above the noise level,
ANY signal above the noise level STILL reads correctly.  If
the signal is IN the noise, then the meter is useless anyway.
I think you're missing the point that you set Gain just so
the meter rests AT the noise level with no signal.  Any signal
stronger than the noise will still read correctly.  I'm
repeating myself but hopefully you got it this time.  OK?

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV