TenTec

[TenTec] Ocean noise

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Ocean noise
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:49:25 -0500
AA6VB wrote:

 >I have heard you need to reduce the gain but when you put both rigs
side by side with no antenna the Orion has much more internal
noise.  I think it is just a fact of life.

         Guys, especially those of you new to Orion
whether original or O2, please read this!

1.  Orion's AGC will amplify internal noise if the
threshold is set too low.  Orion's digital AGC is
different than what is in the MP or other rigs.

2.  As previously stated, set AF Gain to mid-scale
and adjust RF Gain down until the noise drops.

3.  The exact setting will vary depending on
how much gain your antenna has and what band you
are on (atmospheric noise being higher on the low
bands and lower on the high bands, so the RF Gain
setting will be a lower number on the low bands).

         I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen
complaints about this!  I'm now considering going
into business buying Orions from people who still
don't get it and reselling them with some simple
instructions as above.  :-)

         Orion's AGC is phenomenal, but please take time to
understand how it works and how to set it up properly.  More
info below and in the manual.

http://www.doug-smith.net/digitalagc.htm

         Anyone still want to argue that using the S-meter to
set RF Gain (which includes AGC Threshold) is a bad idea?

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV