TenTec

[TenTec] Dual Receivers

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Dual Receivers
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:25:43 -0400
N6KB:

 >Two identical phase locked receivers in a single box would be a first (
at least in the past decade or two )  and would be welcomed by low band
operators wanting to use diversity/interferometry/phasing techniques to
dig the DX out of the noise. Using DSP correlation processes with the
outputs from two identical front ends and IFs might make the best weak
signal receiver ever marketed to hams.

         The Flex-Radio SDR-X may have exactly this capability.
It's one of the most exciting things I've heard of and should
actually allow you to **eliminate** in-band interference like
splatter, clicks, etc.

 >In all the various rigs that have a second receiver, the second receiver
is second rate, even if it is as good as most receivers available ten
years ago.

         I believe the IC-7800 does have identical receivers,
but of course you pay more than twice the price of Orion to get
that capability.  (Maybe the FTdx9000 does also).

         And I'm very sure Ten-Tec is not sitting on their
hands, even though they are also busy with the things Scott
mentioned.  ;-)

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV