TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Orion time domain issues, QSK

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion time domain issues, QSK
From: Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 22:31:11 -0400
At Wednesday 04:37 PM 7/5/2006, you wrote:
>Because of the lately revived discussion of Orion's QSK, I decided it
>was time to finally publish a manuscript that has been lying around on
>for some time.  Check out blog.aa6e.net <http://blog.aa6e.net>.
>
>I got interested in time delay while trying to make sense of ionospheric
>backscatter echoes.  The Orion makes a fair radar set, but you have to
>understand how it is delaying the Rx signal.  This sheds some light on
>the QSK problem, too.
>
>Comments welcome.
>
>73 Martin AA6E

Excellent work Martin!

Your test and manuscript pretty conclusively shows that Ten Tec, who
gained a sterling reputation for producing the VERY BEST CW full QSK
radios, have now joined the YIK manufacturers who produce SSB rigs,
and "Oh yes, our rigs will do CW too!" crowd. Of course you can't
blame TT because SSB is what sells radios, no longer the radios CW
capabilites. Thank goodness for the TT rigs prior to the Orion, for
those of us who still the CW part of this hobby.

Tom - W4BQF

No longer a member of the 'Ten Tec Fan Club' but still an Omni 6 Plus user.

"I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."