TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525

To: John <jh.graves@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:08:56 -0500
Oh yeah!

I still have my argosy II. I think ( my opinion) that this radio was one of the
better designs form ten tec.

It had enough bang to work the world. Was battery friendly and when condx were
right flip a switch and go QRP. 30 meters was a real plus at the time that
radio was made.

As for your distortion. Try the simple things first. Deoxit the power plug were
it goes into the radio. Now flip the qrp/qrp switch back and forth a few times,
cleaning the contacts.

Pop the top and loosen each screw on just one pcb at a time no more than half a
turn. When the assembly is loose press down in the pcb and gently wiggle it.
Tighten the hardware.

Ten tec used the mounting hardware to supply grounding in some of the pcbs.
Wiggling the boards breaks away any of the oxide formed between the solder and
aluminum spacers.

On the top of the radio's chassis the pcb toward the PA is suspect. It contains
a lot of the functions for ssb generation and the low level RF driver.

I am doing this from memory as I am at work right now.

You want to make sure the mounting hardware is tight.

Try these simple things first.

Mike wb8vge

Sent from my iPhone