TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Think about trading for another HF rig? ; the grass isn't

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Think about trading for another HF rig? ; the grass isn't always greener at the other side of the fence...
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:18:57 -0700 (PDT)
You make an excellent point, Martin.  A rig is a very personal item, so each of
us have our look-and-feel issues.

I, too, was surprised that the reviewer dwelled on the VHF aspects.  It would
be interesting to see someone who was primarily an HF operator/contester/DXer
share his observations about the capabilities and limitations of the K3.  I'm
sure that they are out there.

To each his own choice of bands and modes, but I think that the design of the
K3 inherits from the K2, likely with the HF operator in mind, so I and others
no doubt would not consider these perceived weaknesses as such.

I like the idea that Elecraft has the 222 MHz band covered with their
transverter, and may buy one to enjoy the weak-signal opportunities on that
band in the future.  I love my Omni VI+ and can't really see an Orion in the
future, but am definitely considering the K3.  But I promised myself that I
wouldn't buy any more radios until I thin the herd in the shack.  :-)

73 de Jim - AD6CW