TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Hercules II problem

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>,jac.trademarks@tiscali.co.uk
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules II problem
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:13:40 -0700
On Jul 27, 2006, at 1:14 PM, JohnCrux wrote:

> me. The Herc trips out ("fault") at around 150 watts out on 10m and at
> around
> 250 watts out on 12m. Switch off and back on, and all other bands work
> as
> before. The SWR  remains as before on all meters ( Herc, ATU and
> external
> SWR/power bridge. It is 1:1 or very close.
>
> But it does not always trip. ......
> Anyone seen this problem (including my friends at TT service, please
> !) and is
> there a solution ? If only I could pop the covers off the relays to
> check the
> contacts .....   Surely someone has seen this ????

I've never seen Ten Tec service answer anyone on this reflector, John.
Give them a phone call and they'll have some suggestions though.

I've had similar problems with my Hercules II, odd tripping of the amp,
inexplicable and intermittent.  I talked to Ten Tec service and they
told me about some wiring going around a relay where some stray RF is
occasionally found :-)  I "moved" the wiring around a bit and the
problem disappeared.  I do not recall exactly the relay, I will go back
and consult my notes to see, but I recall a few wires going right next
to a relay on a board, I bent them and moved them into a very different
position.  I also sprayed a tiny bit of DeOxit around on the connectors
while I was in there.  It all worked fine after that.

WA3JPG
Clark Savage Turner, J.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science
Cal Poly State University