TenTec

[TenTec] TenTec Rx vs Icom 735 Rx?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TenTec Rx vs Icom 735 Rx?
From: Timothy_A._Hostetler@aep.com (Timothy_A._Hostetler@aep.com)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:19:49 -0500
I have both.  An Omni D and the 735.  I operate 99.9% SSB (but copy/send
code at 20+ wpm in case there's an emergency ; ). For my SSB use, the 735
has a much "hotter" receiver, in that I can hear/discriminate signals much
better with the ICOM than with the TT.  For CW , for the 0.1% of the time I
use that, my impressions are that the TT have the advantage of much less
"white" noise (phase noise, synthesizer products, noise floor, whatever).

I think you could have trouble with the ICOM's tiny buttons/switches in a
mobile application.  Some judicious pre-mobile memory programing and levels
setting may overcome some of that problem.  Bottom line (for me), my ICOM
is my primary rig and my TT is a back-up.  Yoose pays yer money and yoose
takes yer choice...

From: S55648 <S55648@aol.com>
..
My question, I need a good mobile/portable HF rig. Any rig with added bands
would be nice, but HF performance is my priority, specifically SSB, and
then
CW...
Now, I have heard very good things about the Icom IC735. I have heard thqat
while its no TenTec on CW, it is quite a unit operating SSB.
...Is this so? Have any of you, those who know truely fine Rx hd experience
with
the 735 to give me an objective opinion as to its performance?