TenTec

[TenTec] To Jupiter or not to Jupiter, that is the question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] To Jupiter or not to Jupiter, that is the question
From: "Buhyoff, Greg" <buhyoff@vt.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:20:57 -0500
Folks,

I continue to have a blast with my Argonaut V AND I also obtained a gorgeous
Omni VI+ about a week and a half ago.  I am, again, rebuilding my Ten-Tec radio
station.  And, goodness gracious I missed that Omni VI+.  That became very
obvious after using it for just a few hours the day I got it.  Thanks, Scott,
for the great Omni VI+.

So, I am now binging, again, on Ten-Tec after a few years of only being an
occasional operator due to other pressing matters.

I am being pulled to the Jupiter based upon the several that I have heard and
worked on the air.  The Jupiter would "round out" my Ten-Tec station and after
so many years and updates, I would imagine (hope) that most of the 'nasty' bugs
are gone.  I am going to sell my Icom 746 (not the Pro but the original 746).
I would rather have a Jupiter and a Ten-Tec of the same genre of the 746 due to
the excellent support I have received from Ten-Tec over the many years I owned
Ten-Ten equipment.

I have carefully searched the archives of this list and read a lot about the
Jupiter but much of it is (may be) somewhat dated. I am aware of the fact that
I should add an AirPax breaker like I have on my Omni VI+ (I already have a
spare) and am aware that there were some RFI problems with earlier models (not
sure if it was the radio or the environment it was in).

I look forward to your comments -- I wish I could afford an Orion but decided I
could get the Argo V, the Omni VI+ and a Jupiter for the price of the Orion and
I have a definite need for a small 20W transceiver and missed my Omni VI+ so
much I cannot describe.  So, that leads me to the Jupiter.  The ones I have
heard on the air sound great and the owners loved them.

But, I turn to the Oracle of Delphi now -- this group  -- since there is likely
no better versed group on Ten-Tec equipment (and most other ham radio issues).
At least that has been my experience from years ago and, again, of late since I
rejoined the group.

I thank you.

73,
Greg K2UM