TenTec

[TenTec] AL-811 amp integration with Omni V

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] AL-811 amp integration with Omni V
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 14:59:55 -0400
Since the subject of amps came up, and since I finally had an evening
where I could play radio and set up my new (to me) Omni V, I have a
question.

It would appear that the Omni V uses a pair of RCA connectors for
switching a Ten Tec amp, TX OUT and TX EN. These are normally jumpered
for running barefoot.

My amplifier does not have QSK ability (it switches using an
open-frame relay) and doesn't have the necessary connections to use
these connectors. Also, I will use it mostly for phone, where the QSK
feature is not needed. I can't seem to find an amp control line on the
Omni V that does not require the full QSK handshake.

One option is to use the amp control output of my foot switch. I may
well decide that's the easiest way, and I'm sure it will work with
phone.

But if I do decide to use CW, I'll have to hit the foot switch to key
the amp, and then the Omni will be sending excitation to the amp using
QSK. Is that a problem? If it is, I'll just avoid that scenario.

If someone has a suggestions on good ways to integrate my 811 with my
Omni V, I would be most appreciative.

Rick, KR9D

---
Richard W. Denney, Jr. PE|Iteris, Inc.              |
Associate Vice President |107 Carpenter Dr. Ste 230 |    703.925.3819
rwd@iteris.com           |Sterling, VA 20164        |Fax 703.471.1757