TenTec

Solid State HF amp kits?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Solid State HF amp kits?
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com (PaulKB8N@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 12:53:46 -0500
In a message dated 96-12-27 08:55:39 EST, n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
writes:

<< Make the amp itself in "brick" form
 then allow the purchase of I/O filters for each band like the Scout. A
 building block type kit would be ideal. First, a cabinet with relays,
 meters, etc. Then a 500w brick and one I/O filter. Then later, an extra
 500w brick and more filters. Don't worry about size. Hams like big stuff
 with lots of blinking lights and meters.  >>

Steve, I agree, although I would like to see features such as automatic
bandswitching incorporated.

I believe there is also an "aftermarket" for improving existing TenTec gear.
 Used TenTec stuff seems to be more sought after than almost any other line
of equipment.  Any "official" TenTec mod kits might make these radios even
more desireable.  Items might include:

- An improved noise blanker board for the Corsair
- A DSP board for the IF and/or audio chain
- An A to D board that takes inputs off the Omni A-D and Corsair Band Data
jacks and codes it for interfacing the computer
- A kit to make the notch filter switchable to either audio peak or
notch...you get the idea

I believe the engineers at T-T already have volumes of info on improving the
radios.  Perhaps a book on the subject of modifying T-T gear might also be in
order.

I own a Corsair I, Corsair II, and Omni VI.  I enthusiastically endorse any
T-Kit iniatives that will enhance these great radios.

73,  Paul, KB8N

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html