TenTec

[TenTec] OMNI D

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI D
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 08:20:22 -0700
Hi Matt:

Which series OMNI D do you have?  Does it have a 546B or 546C
written anywhere on the back?  The original OMNI D came out
in about 1976 maybe, and was a good solid basic rig with
nice QSK for CW, built in audio filtering for CW, but no
selection of IF filtering, just an 8 pole SSB filter in line
all the time.  The later series B and C added IF filter
selection to the mix, and some other bands, added a notch
filter and added some other bands to the bandswitch.

As far as how "good" the rig is, it is a good basic radio
for the 1970's, way ahead of its time for full QSK CW,
still works as well as most in that respect.  Selectivity
is not up to current standards, sensitivity not so good on
160 but OK on the other bands.  It is a good basic rig.

You should go get a manual for the rig first.  I suspect you
can call Ten Tec and get one, but if not, I bet you can get
a copy of one from someone around here :-) .

Good luck.

Clark
WA3JPG