TenTec

[TenTec] Ten Tec wider SSB filter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec wider SSB filter
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 1998 08:58:06 -0800
> I'm curious about this desire for a wider SSB filter...I use a Corsair II
> for CW and a very early Collins S-Line for SSB, so don't know much about
> SSB on the TenTec (I've literally never plugged a mike into it!) but I
> can tell you that the Collins receivers sound absolutely great on SSB
> with a 2.1kc mechanical filter; are you sure that the filter bandwidth is
> the limiting factor on your SSB audio?

Yes, the 2.1 kHz is really pretty restricted, even when it has a
good shape factor.  With a very good speaker and correctly set carrier
oscillators you sure can get nice sounding SSB, but it is not very
full sounding, my ears get fatigued by listening to it.  I would rather
put up with some side QRM and have more frequency response on SSB
(but with an optional 2.4 or 1.8 filter to throw in the line I can
even fix that) - my ears and brain seem to do better filtering all by
themselves at times.  Put a Kenwood 940 with a good speaker connected
next to your 2.1 kHz radio with a good speaker and the difference
becomes apparent (another 600 Hz of response).  That sounds quite
different to me.  Of course, when guys are transmitting through their
2.1 kHz filters, it makes nearly no difference, it really is funny,
with wider SSB receive filters allow me to figure out what transmit
filters the other guys are using.

Clark
WA3JPG