TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Triton PTO kit same as Corsair II?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Triton PTO kit same as Corsair II?
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:43:39 -0400
I have no idea when I got them but they did come from Ten-Tec.  Pressed on
the matter, I'd venture to say I got two right-hand threaded ones around
1982 and got the left-hand threaded ones for my 580 Deltas in about 1990.

As an aside, of the 7 or 8 PTO's I've rebuilt, only one needed any parts and
I'm not even sure it needed them.  The bearing race had a very smooth groove
in it where the ball bearings rode.  Now that I look back on it, the
original race may have been machined such but the new one had a smooth
conical depression so I assumed the old one was worn.  Ten-Tec may have gone
to the new type (if they did) to reduce the cost of machine work.

In every other case, all that was needed was that the old grease be cleaned
out and replaced with fresh   grease.  The last grease I used was a
petroleum grease used in bicycles but others are big on synthetic greases.
I know nothing of them.

Mike