TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Century 21 Analog Question...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Century 21 Analog Question...
From: KC1DI <davekc1di@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 19:09:42 +0000
Hi Kevin,
Having own a couple Century 21's I can tell you that what you describe is
not uncommon.
the Century 21 uses a Direct conversion RX.  and one of the quirks is that
of Broadcast over Load of the front end. The signal is usually injected by
strong rf presented at the balanced detector. and will normally be presented
across the whole band and will not be tunable.  The Signals you are hearing
come because the strong overloading signal will beat against the osillator
and be passed through the filters because they are in the pass band.  About
all you can do about it is 1. operate on that band at a time when the signal
is weakest.  2. keep the R.F. gain control as low a possible and still hear
the stations you want to work. an antenna tuner in the line between the
antenna and the rig may also help.

Hope this may be of some help.
Dave Kc1di/qrp