TenTec

[TenTec] TT Eagle tuner spec: SWR v. impedance range?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] TT Eagle tuner spec: SWR v. impedance range?
From: "dbp tds.net" <dbp@tds.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 11:37:29 -0500
Hi-

 I do not believe that "there is no such thing as a stupid question. You be
the judge:

The Eagle spec sheet for the antenna tuner says: "Matching impedance range:
10:1 SWR typical".

Impedance is measured in Ohms, (Z). Impedance is not a ratio, its'
associated SWR is a ratio. I think this spec would make more initial sense
if it read from like "10 Ohms to 1500 Ohm's". That to me is an impedance
range.

What does a 10:1 SWR actually mean? A 50 Ohm dummy load gives a 1:1 SWR;
 and a 100 Ohm load gives a 2:1 SWR as does a 25 Ohms give a 2:1 SWR, 12.5
Ohms is a 4:1 ratio. 200 Ohms is 4:1, 400 Ohms then gives an 8:1 SWR. That
is considering  the designed output Impedance of the transmitter is 50
Ohm's. (Back when a TX ouput was designed for 75 Ohm's then a 75 Ohm antenna
yielded a 1:1 SWR).

So, should I assume (hate that word) that the Eagle tuner "Matching
impedance range: 10:1 SWR typical" could mean a tuning Impedance range from
25 to 400 Ohm's? If that is the case, I want an external tuner that will
match maybe from 10 to 1500 Ohm's I*mpedance to use with the short whip
(LoZ) or end fed longwire (HiZ) antenna. Just thinking of easy antennas to
throw up in a portable situation.*

*What say you?*

*73 de dave in NH*