TenTec

Re: [TenTec] The Eagle inflation costs, etc.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Eagle inflation costs, etc.
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 13:48:12 -0600
I used to think the old boatanchors were merely a nostalgia trip for
people who want to live in the past but I was mistaken.  There are
some modes (if you ragchew) for which the Collins A line, Johnsons,
HROs, SX28s, WRL and so on rigs do quite well, namely AM and CW, AND
you can get in there and figure them out and repair them.  On top of
that, the 100% analog vacuum tube audio from a push pull AF amp in a
NC183 or SX28 is wonderful.  You'll never hear a vintage radio op
saying, "I'm uh, QRT right now because I had to send the rig to the
shop because I <don't know how to> or <can't> repair it.  Take a look
at all the new plastic rigs coming out.  Sure a few hams can work on
them but for most, including me, they'd probably be an item to send
out.  Well, I don't want to be a consumer ham with throw away radios
that have discontinued unobtanium FETs and microprocessor chips..  See
you in the fleamarket!

73

Rob
K5UJ