TenTec

[TenTec] OII Notch Specifications

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OII Notch Specifications
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:47:45 -0500
Keith (AC9S) said:
"I was perusing the Ten Tec web site after reading Scott's update in the
product status when I came across this statement in the OII receiver
specification section: "RX notch filter: IF DSP, adjustable width, depth >
50
dB, notch reflected on S-meter; multi-tone auto-notch, adjustable 0-9."

Since I have never seen the notch reflected on the S-meter on my rig (one of
my continuing irritations)I wonder if this is a peek at a change with the
new
firmware.  Perhaps a derivative of RF versus AF AGC? "
Keith, I hope you are right, but I doubt it. Those words date back to the
Original Orion
Firmware (Version 1.xxx) Which does have a manual notch that removes the
signal from
the IF, and not just the AF section of the radio. With the V1.xxx code, a
close by strong
CW signal does not "pump the AGC" of the receiver and mask a weak signal you
are trying
to copy. I have had numerous conversations with Senior people at Ten-Tec and
have never been
given a "rational reason" for the change in the V2 code. It appears that
they will never change this back
to the way it was (Maybe they really don't know how to change this?). This
is one important reason that I still run V1.373b5 firmware in my Orion.
73,
Merle - W0EWM