TenTec

[TenTec] Orion v2 beta and mic gain

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion v2 beta and mic gain
From: "Mark DeBord" <markinkpt@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:12:17 -0500
Did some on the air testing with my friend who also upgraded to new beta
firmware.
Again, I am using the W2IHY equipment. I did turn my TX EQ down to 0
(instead of the normal -6) and the mic gain down to 20. This made it close
to the way it sounded before. I am not sure, but even adjusting the TX EQ to
+2 might have helped a little, but am still testing.

The one thing we did notice; if you are transmitting and you adjust the LF
Rolloff, you actually change the XMIT freq!! But unkey and then key back
down, you will be back on freq. So this occurs only when adjusting rolloff
while keyed down.

There is also a possibility that while listening through the monitor, it
sounds over driven; but on the air, it might be ok. Maybe the monitor could
be overdriven; not sure because of band conditions.

One other observation. WIth a 705 mic straight into the rig, we turned the
mic gain down to 40 and did run the sp at 1. This gave it a punch over the
air; almost like flipping an amp on. But anything over that was overdriving.
However, when I monitored through the rig, it sounded distorted at times on
certain words; especially those with S in them. But again, this was not
heard over the air. WIll know for sure once the band is quiter.

The band was noisy on 75 tonight, so I still did to run this by the guys I
normally QSO with to see if they think I am back to normal.

All else is looking really good. The NR really helped during the static
crashes tonight!

Mark KA4ICK