TenTec

Re: [TenTec] DX radios

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] DX radios
From: john ferro <foxbat426@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 19:22:19 -0400
ok point taken - but nothing substitutes for a great antenna - period! there
are some instances where all the bells and whistles will get the station - they
are far and few between though - i've got to laugh at all the operators working
an OII or elecraft K3 or some other megabuck top end rig and thinking they have
the ultimate station because of the rig - yet their antenna is a half hearted
piece of wire or half hearted vertical with 10 radials that they say can work
all the bands - i'll take the cheapo 200 rig with a properly designed antenna
system installed correctly vs. the 5000.00 rig and a 100.00 worth of wire or
"second thought" antenna system anyday.

john> Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 19:07:38 -0400> From: roncasa@verizon.net> To:
tentec@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [TenTec] DX radios> > Kc9cdt@aol.com
wrote:> > > >> > Just the other day I was tryuing to work a DX station. Had the
Collins on. > > Heard him, but coul not copy him. He was pretty weak 4-4 maybe
in the clear.. > > BUT he was not in the clear. Someone was 2 Khz away and very
strong.> >> > I turned on the OII, did some work with AGC, bandwidth and High
cut.> > BINGO, clear copy. I worked him.> >> > > > > > Thank you for proving my
point:> > Guys can boast what rigs they have and it don't mean a thing if they
do > not know enough to use it.> > again, it's the operator.> > Thank you> >