TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Aux I/O connection

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Aux I/O connection
From: "Dick Williams" <k8ztt@mho.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 08:23:18 -0600
Jack,

If you are going to operate RTTY, I would highly suggest you "connect" the
red and black cables and forget about the soundcard for AFSK.   The O2 is
much better suited for FSK RTTY; and in fact when you select FSK for the
mode it switches in the right filters for RTTY.

Additionally you don't have to worry about audio levels, overdrive, and a
whole "s--tload of other problems associated with trying to use AFSK.

There are several interfaces on the market that work very well for
interfacing the radio with the computer and save you the "headaches" of
connecting the radio directly to the computer (you really should use
isolation transformers - especially on the line sending audio from the sound
card to your radio).

Ones that I have tried include the RigBlaster, Rig Expert Standard and in
the near future the Naviagtor;  I believe MFJ also has one too.   All work
very well with FSK and as far as I know, with all digital modes).  Although
I learned many years ago NEVER say "all"; there always seems to be some
exception.

The advantages of the Rig Expert and Navigator are they both have built in
sound cards,  you only run one cable (USB) to your computer,  both have
cables that are taylor made for your radio and plug directly into the Aux
din plug (plug and play - forget about the breakout cable that came with the
O2), and you don't tie up your sound card with the radio.  There are some
others too, but the aforementioned are the main ones.

If you like to homebrew,  it is very easy to make a FSK keying circuit (and
a PTT circuit) using a general purpose NPN transistor and a 1k resistor.
You hook the FSK line to the colector, the emmiter is grounded, and you "FSK
key" the transistor base from pin3 of a serial port you assign for FSK (for
PTT you use the same circuit and pin 7 on the DB-9 com port).

I think you will find that most really serious RTTY enthusists use FSK if at
all possible.

My two cents worth.

Dick K8ZTT

PS A couple of excellent programs (both free) that I have tried for digital
are MMTTY for RTTY and Hamscope for PSK31 and RTTY (uses the MMTTY engine).
I doubt if you can find one guy that will "bad mouth" either;  and that is
not to say that other excellent programs don't exist, there most certainly
are, but I have not tried them.