TenTec

Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI must have a very quiet LO

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI must have a very quiet LO
From: Peter Bertini <radioconnection@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 09:49:13 -0500
Even the Paragon had better synthesizer phase noise spec's than many of the
imported radios of that era; and by several dB. Not too shabby. I run both
an Omni VI and Paragon II and I've been pretty happy with both receivers.

But, to digress... LO noise only comes into play when there are strong
nearby signals which can cause reciprocal mixing,  which essential mixes
the phase noise back into the receiver IF pass band.   Ten Tec did a few
other things right--a very quiet IF, good gain distribution, a low noise
front end and first mixer, and other good practices that greatly contribute
to receiver with a very quiet background noise level.

On the other hand, my Ten Tec 1254 SWL receiver, with two MC-1350 chips in
the IF running full bore, sounds like a Hoover vacuum cleaner!

Pete