TenTec

(Fwd) Re: [TenTec] Corsair versus Paragon?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: (Fwd) Re: [TenTec] Corsair versus Paragon?
From: eqtc@xs4all.nl (D.W. Harms PA2DWH)
Date: Sat Apr 19 04:52:01 2003
Hi all,

I know very well what Lee means by the soldering problems of the PLL PWB's
(both minor and major!).
It is caused by the excessive heat that was apparently applied to mount the
tin covers over the various PLL sections. During that heat, the flux of the
solder of the PLL coils evapourated, causing a "cold" solderjoint.
The results are garbled sounds on both the receive and transmit signals and
if it gets severe, it causes "Out of PLL" messages in the dislay.

My Paragon had that in the beginning. It was easely solved by resoldering
the PLL coils and never in the 9 years after that has it re-occurred.

73, Dick/PA2DWH

Using TT Paragon and 238 tuner