TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Triton IV Volume Control

To: <waf3153@aol.com>, "Ten-Tec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Triton IV Volume Control
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 10:04:38 -0400
Hi Buff,

Caveat:  the following are from dim memory:

With the rig turned on, note the pointer at the top of the dial skirt.  If
it is illuminated, we'll protect its lamp below.  If it is not illuminated,
and if it matters to you, you'll need a new lamp.  This is a really good
time to replace it !

Take off the knobs (the main tuning knob requires a tiny Allen wrench).

Pull off the dial skirt.

The front panel is held in place by the two side panels.  From inside the
radio, loosen the screws holding the side pieces, top and bottom.

When you have it loose, be careful -- there is a small wire connecting the
LED's and a small "grain of wheat" lamp to the inside panel.  It unplugs
from the front of the inside panel.

If you have the analog model (540) I suggest you make a drawing of how the
dial cord is strung and keep it in your manual.

When you have finished your work on the volume control, assemble the radio
in the reverse order of disassembly.  In your manual, you'll see that
Ten-Tec describes a special tool to reinstall the dial skirt onto the shaft.
A far better method is to make a loop of dental floss and use it to stretch
the D-spring in the skirt to let it slip onto the shaft.  The floss slides
easily out when you're done.

About the grain-of-wheat lamp:

Now that you know how much trouble it is to access that lamp, you'll want to
protect it.  Place a 100 ohm, half-watt resistor in series with it.  It
doesn't reduce its brightness noticeably but extends the lamp's life
geometrically.

Speaking of other lamp(s):  Their lives can be greatly extended by putting a
27 ohm, 1 watt resistor in series with each one.  Make sure that your result
does not have the current for more than one lamp passing through a single
resistor or they will be dimmed considerably.  Each lamp needs its own
resistor.  With an analog model (540) all lamps may derive their power
through one lead.  If that is the case, you can use a 10 ohm resistor.  I'd
use a 2-watt resistor in that case but I have not computed the actual
dissipation required for the current to three or four lamps.

73 and good luck,
Mike N4NT