TenTec

[TenTec] Orion-I Firmware Upgrade Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion-I Firmware Upgrade Problem
From: "Sagers Rick-QRS000" <Rick.Sagers@motorola.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:23:43 -0600
I have an Orion-565 SN 03C10205, purchased April 2005, and running 1.372
firmware.

After upgrading the firmware to the v2.054 beta release and customizing
a few of the menu selections, I experience radio lockups - i.e. the
radio will cease to function, the display will freeze, all buttons
become inoperable.  After a lockup occurs, if the radio is then power
cycled (off-on), subsequent boot ups do not make it past the system
boot-up screen.  Turning off the radio AND the power supply for a while
seems to clear the problem with the radio hanging at boot-up until the
next crash occurs.  The hardware jumper mod has not been performed.

I've removed and re-downloaded the v2.054 beta from my computer a couple
of times (at the request of TT service) with no change in the behavior
of the radio.  Both the Master and Battery-fail resets do not seem to
cure the problem.

If I reinstall v1.372 firmware, the radio is stable again and seems to
behave as it did before the beta upgrade.

As it does not appear that others are seeing this problem, are there any
suggestions?

Regards,
Rick W7YC