TenTec

[TenTec] Using Manual Ant Tuner With Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Using Manual Ant Tuner With Pegasus
From: n4lq@iglou.com (n4lq@iglou.com)
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 07:36:44 -0500
There isn't any "safe way". Some ways are less dangerous than others. Use
something else to tune the antenna then change over to the Pegasus.
Palomar had a switchable noise bridge for this purpose. TenTec has a kit
version but requires some rigging. MFJ has several antenna analyzers but
they must be removed after tuning the antenna. Once you have your tuner's
dials logged then bandswitching is easier.

One thing that's really rough on transistor finals is those roller
inductors in most tuners. Applying power to such a tuner then cranking
that inductor while it's roller connection intermitts and sparks is
certainly a strain on any transistor. It's a wonder that any survive this
ordeal!

Here is a link to the Palomar "tuner tuner". I've used them and they are
super.

http://www.palomar-engineers.com/Tuner-Tuner/tuner-tuner.html

It has a bypass off/on switch and can be left connected in-line with your
rig.