TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Re Please tell me about the BMW

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re Please tell me about the BMW
From: "n4lq" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:26:13 -0400
Speaking of BMW and "latest-fad technology", read here about their new
idrive system. Most of the interior controls are intregated into one big
knob on the console. Some of this review reminds me of certain ham rigs.
Here is a clip from the Edmunds review and the link.

"Next came BMW's iDrive when it debuted on the all-new 7 Series in 2002.
The BMW engineers had apparently learned from Mercedes' mistake, as they
went in the opposite direction with their control system. Instead of
having a center panel cluttered with buttons, iDrive was made up of a
single, simple dial and no buttons. Of course the dial not only turned
but had to be pushed and slid to fully operate. It was like having a
computer mouse in the center console. What could be simpler, right?

Well, while iDrive's control interface is simple, making simple
adjustments is not. My favorite example is trying to tune in a specific
radio station, which requires scrolling through multiple LCD screens
unless the station is strong enough to be picked up by the "seek" button
(a rarity in the crowded airwaves over Los Angeles). A power/volume dial
is the only other high-level control device for the audio system in the
new 7 Series (and the subsequently introduced 5 and 6 Series). Our
original experience in the 7 Series brought to light numerous technical
glitches that had the audio system staying on when we wanted it off, and
coming on randomly when it shouldn't have ? such as after we'd parked
and locked the vehicle.

Since that time we've driven the new 5 and 6 Series and found similar
issues with iDrive. I noted one specific issue while trying to adjust
the audio system's bass and treble settings (after wading through
multiple LCD screens, of course). In this case, the graphical
representations of the bass and treble settings on the LCD screen, along
with the actual changes in the settings, were lagging behind the action
of my hand turning the iDrive dial. So as I tried to listen for when the
bass and treble were properly adjusted, I noticed that although my hand
was turning the dial, no change in settings was occurring, either on the
screen or in the sound quality. Naturally I tuned the dial further when
I saw this and then ? WHAM! ? the system caught up quickly, pushing the
sound of David Bowie from a Barry White-like low to an Alvin and the
Chipmunks-high in a fraction of a second.

Two thoughts occurred to me as I experienced this. First, how ironic is
it that BMW has invested all those countless man-hours and untold
resources in creating the latest batch of high-fidelity Harman Kardon
sound systems, only to pair it with a user interface that makes it
nearly impossible to properly adjust the tonal qualities? Second, this
has never happened to me in a $20,000 Honda Civic, a $12,000 Hyundai
Elantra or a 31-year-old $1,700 Saab Sonett."
http://applications.edmunds.com/news/column/carmudgeon/102470/article.htm