TenTec

Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 95, Issue 39

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Digest, Vol 95, Issue 39
From: "Speer, Doug" <Doug.Speer@FairbanksMorse.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 07:49:41 -0600
Art,
Good catch on my poor sentence structure.  Good thing I don't make a living
writing.  What I meant to say is that the service work done by Bob, K4TAX was
most excellent.  The rig has run great including two 20m Field Day outings
since he worked on my VI+.

Don,
Without going into the long story, Ten-Tec did once repair my Omni VI+ and
although they got it working told me they suspected the rig had been the victim
of "static discharge" damage, aka lightning damage.  The rig failed again
shortly after the repairs and the advice of Ten-Tec was that the unit was not
"economically" repairable and provided me a letter on Ten-Tec letterhead to
that effect which I used for a homeowners insurance lightning damage claim.  As
an aside I also lost some other electronic gear in the same storm.  Since
Ten-Tec had provided me the "not economically repairable" letter, they feel it
would be un-ethical to work on the rig anymore regardless of my willingness to
pay for the repairs.  After filing the claim I asked my insurance company for
disposition instructions for the damaged Omni and they put in writing to me
that they did not want the unit sent to them and I was free to do whatever I
wanted with it.  Sometime after all this I contacted Bob and he
 agreed to look at the rig and did what I consider an outstanding job at a fair
price.  Ok, this did get long.

Doug, W9PN
Message: 8
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 13:52:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Don Rasmussen <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>
Subject: [TenTec]  Omni VI+ sustainability
To: tentec@contesting.com

Someone please correct me - but wont Ten Tec service anything they made that
they can get parts for?

That always used to be the case with the one exclusion - lightning damage and
then the radio is totaled.

My OMNI VI+ is still fairly new in comparison to a lot of what I have, it is in
my mind one of the most servicable rigs available today.

There are some other radios of many brands, I know, that wont get serviced just
because of their age and the maker wants to sell new radios.

Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ sustainability
from [Art Trampler] [Permanent Link][Original]

To:  Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject:  Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ sustainability
From:  Art Trampler <atrampler@att.net>
Date:  Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:46:06 -0800 (PST)

OK, did you mean, "However after suffering some static discharge damage thanks
to some most excellent technician work by Bob, K4TAX the rig has been running
great for more than two years since being repaired."

Or, "However after suffering some static discharge damage, the righ has been
running great for more than two years since being repaired Bob, K4TAX."

:)
Art, K?RO

----------Legal Disclaimer----------

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential,
and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.  No other person is
authorized to access, copy or re-use this message (or any information contained
herein).  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately
by replying to this message and delete it from your computer.