TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Corsair II buzz

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II buzz
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 21:43:11 -0500
Do recall that any station ground has length and inductance and impedance.
It may be a good DC ground as it has low resistance, but is it a good RF
ground?  In almost any condition, the station is above RF ground.  For
example, a station ground that is some 16 ft in length puts the station at
1/4 wave above ground on 20M.  That 1/4 wave ground wire can radiate or
receive noise just like an antenna.

I've found that station grounds can be more problematic than providing
solutions.  Some will say that it is necessary for lightning protection.  I
say "do your want lightning to come in your house to your station before
being diverted to ground?"  I certainly hope not and therefore strongly
suggest that all lightning protection must be done outside of the house and
not inside the house.

To approach this issue methodology, disconnect every cable from the radio,
power it from a 12V battery and terminate the RX input with 50 ohms and
listen.   I prefer a 1/2 watt  51 ohm resistor inside a PL-259 connector
with a 3/8" metal hole plug covering the open end of the connector.  That's
is about as close to 100% shielding as one can get.   If the noise is there
it is most likely coming from inside the radio.  If it is not there then it
is coming from the outside world.  That will give one a solid direction to
look for a solution.

73
Bob, K4TAX