TenTec

[TenTec] Re: 253 Tuner vs AT-1000 Tuner?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: 253 Tuner vs AT-1000 Tuner?
From: johnclif@ix.netcom.com (John Clifford)
Date: Tue Apr 15 15:53:43 2003
The new AT-1000 tuner was designed for 1 kw rather than the full gallon to
keep costs down while appealing to the largest segment of the amp market
(the under-$1k amp purchaser).  There are a lot of 500w to 800w amps out
there, and there are a lot of these amps being purchased by new hams who
don't already have a high power tuner.  Evidently, the cost to make an
autotuner that could handle full legal power plus (need a safety margin)
would be a LOT more than that to make an amp rated at 1kw with a little
buffer built in.

I understand this reasoning... but I don't know if I agree with it.  I'm the
type of person who likes to buy things once and doesn't mind paying a little
more for the top-of-the-line.  However, based upon my experiences with
owning a specialty retail shop (firearms) I will admit that my views on
purchasing items don't reflect the majority opinion (although they DO
reflect the INFORMED opinion!).

I wish LDG success and hope that fantastic sales along with a clamor from
customers will cause them to introduce a full gallon autotuner.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1
Alinco DR-605TQ
Icom T90A

email: kd7kgx@arrl.net