TenTec

RE: [TenTec] Hi power Ten Tec ant tuner swr drift?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Hi power Ten Tec ant tuner swr drift?
From: "Chuck (Jack) Hawley" <c-hawley@uiuc.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:05:04 -0600
I just bought a 238B and noticed that the schematic shows two 220pF in
parallel for each stage of added capacitance to be switched in with the Low
Z - High Z switch. In the parts list, they show what translates to two 180
pF capacitors in parallel at each switch terminal. So I had to look
inside...and looking inside in the actual 238B, I see three 150 pF ceramic
capacitors in parallel at each switch terminal.
It looks like they are increasing the current carrying ability of the
capacitors. An upgrade for the older tuner may well be paralleling more disc
ceramics, using lower values to add up to the required total for each
capacitance stage for increased current carrying ability.
Chuck, KE9UW

---