TenTec

[TenTec] Orion microphone choices, Orion Monitor function

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion microphone choices, Orion Monitor function
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:43:08 +0000
I couldn't have said this better myself! AMEN! Right on Barry--preach it brother!

Rob/K5UJ

<<<W0DJC mused "No amount of adjustment gets my Orion to
sound as punchy as my 1000D."

To paraphrase an old saying - with the FT-1000D, you
can have your audio sounding any way you want, as long
as you want it to sound narrow and punchy.  Good
pileup busting radio, bad ragchewing radio IMHO (I own
one).

This isn't the fault of the Orion, it's the fault of
the other radios.  You don't have to adjust them -
they always sound narrow and punchy.  With the Orion,
you truly can have your audio sounding any way you
want.  But the downside is that you'll have to learn
how to do it.

FWIW, I use -12dB TX EQ when feeding the Orion with
the same audio source as other radios.  I think the
Orion's monitor IS true sounding.  If it sounds
muffled, your audio IS probably muffled and you should
roll off the TX EQ.

IMHO, an external mic preamp/equalizer is a tool that
belongs in every ssb ragchewer's shack.  Behringer and
W2IHY make excellent equipment.

73,
Barry N1EU>>>