TenTec

[TenTec] Wide SSB

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Wide SSB
From: k5uj@hotmail.com (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
Date: Fri Apr 18 20:24:12 2003

"There is a rule in part 97 about using the minimum spectrum required for
the communications, right next to the one about using the minimum
POWER..."

I do not argue with the FCC's intent here however, if we follow an extremely
literal interpretation of this to the maximum extent allowed by analog
technology, the resulting "taliban audio" would be a nasal, metalic kind of
mechanical sound that would make everyone sound like space aliens on a Star
Trek episode.  I think there's a happy and reasonable medium in there
somewhere between the 3.9 Khz allowed by the Jupiter and the traditional
utilitarian sound of the older sideband rigs.  I find a 2.5 - 2.8 khz wide
signal much more pleasant to listen to.  If a band plan agreement to put
these on 15 and 75 where there's more space comes about so be it, but to
squelch any attempt to try something new does not seem to be part of the
amateur spirit to me.  Besides, who wants to sound like they're on the
telephone or a 2m repeater?  If I want that I'll make a phone call.  I've
tried 10 m. FM.  I found it remarkable for it's blandness and lack of
character.  May as well be on an internet chat room or whatever those voice
links are called.

73,

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
k5uj@hotmail.com

Note to prevent further embarrassment:  Regardless of what my earlier
message said, I did know that 20 has an additional 50 Khz over the 40 phone
allocation, but I won't be surprised if you don't believe me. : )