TenTec

[TenTec] Omni Vi freq drift and poor keyer?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni Vi freq drift and poor keyer?
From: w5ben@arrl.net (Duane Budd)
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 07:18:08 -0400
Steve says:

"Frequency stability is rated for 50hz during warmup. This is more than
the average JA radio although it may or may not be noticable to the
user."

Budd says: Yep. My Omni VI drifts much more than my IC-706 FOR THE FIRST 5
MINUTES after you turn it on. Then it just sits there, rock- (crystal-?)
solid.

Steve says:

"Thanksfully, PSK31 as it was designed is able to track drifty rigs."

Budd says: Yep, and you can tell which station is drifting, if you observe
carefully. Clover, on the other hand, does NOT track drifting stations, but
requires a high degree of stability, which is also visible on the CRT of the
computer in Hertz. And that is where the comments on the stability of my
Omni VI came from.

Steve says:

"If I paid $3,000 for a rig with twirpy keying and about the same
amount of drift as my 20 yr old radio I might be a bit edgy too."

Budd says: Well, now I AM confused. Are you saying you don't have an Omni
VI? But you reviewed it! You buy a used Omni or what?

Duane Budd
w5ben@arrl.net