TenTec

[TenTec] Orion SSB settings

To: tentec@contesting.com, orion@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion SSB settings
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 21:33:42 -0500
Hi Bill and Barry --

   Sounds like we have similar mental models.

   I haven't gone as narrow on bandwidth but see no reason not to in crowded
conditions.

   I agree with Bill's comments about different threshold settings on the
bands.  This would be one parameter useful for the radio
to remember as one changes from band to band.

   RX EQ is something I haven't tried when using very narrow filter settings.
It's not as easy to get to as the bandwidth knob on
the radio.

   I am not sure of the value of boosting EQ at the audio stage to restore a
portion of the spectrum which was suppressed in the
filters.  For example, if the filters are suppressing some of the speech energy
at 1800-2100 Hz, then boosting that with the
equalizer simply raises the weaker signal PLUS the noise floor there.  If one
needs the RX EQ, why wouldn't one just open the filter
a bit or reposition the passband accordingly?

   The hardware NB works very well on a quiet band.  As a single op, one
doesn't get to spend too much time on quiet bands - hi!

73,
   -- Eric K3NA

To: <http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/tentec>eric at k3na.org
Subject: RE: [Orion] ORION PERFORMANCE

Eric --

Can you be more specific about your changes?

As I said in my email, I lose track of my expectations... and then get
messed up trying to figure out if the radio sounds as good as it should!
  Parameters like NR (which was great on the Omni-6+) just didn't seem
right to me;  I haven't gotten the hang of the AGC, nor do I really
understand the HW NB and the H vs L in re: PBT.

I suspect I'll eventually get there...

Eric