TenTec

[TenTec] CONTACT CLEANER!!!!!!!!!!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CONTACT CLEANER!!!!!!!!!!
From: walt@jove.acs.unt.edu (Walter S Delesandri)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 12:00:25 -0600 (CST)
Yeah, it's a dumb subject, especially since Ten-tec insists on
using plastics that are damn near soluble in anything....sorry
to "intrude" on this group's never ending filter-fanatic-for-Ten-
tec threads......Actually, half of the posts were from another
group, who's radios could probably be washed in gasoline and
lubricated with motor oil without much damage.....ya know,
Drake/Collins/other metal radios....

Yeah, I like Ten-tec....in fact, they're so damn good, performance
wise, that you can kinda ignore the most piss-poor construction
that the industry has EVER seen...

It's the namby-pamby components and enclosures that make a "solvent/
cleaner" thread a vital discussion, for ten-tec....hell, If you're
using a 51J3 or a BC-610, just steam clean the damn thing.....then
lay it in the sun for the kids to play on for a few days while it
dries...slosh a little grease and oil here and there, it'll work
another 60 years....

But when a company can't make a PTO drive as good as that cheap-assed
Drake,  you'd BETTER be careful about solvents and lubricants....
Hell, even my Collins "gray" gear is built cheap compared to
"real" radios, don't even get me onto a Ten-tec bash......Yes,
it's the finest CW radio EVER built for amateurs, and I know that
price constraints plague the ever-dwindling American manufacturer,
(as well as lawyers and legislation), but give me a break....
even Knight junk was TOUGH!!! and cost even LESS--adjusted for
inflation...as did Heathkit 101, etc....

There, I've vented,
Walt

On
Sun,