TenTec

[TenTec] Omni D 11 meters blues

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni D 11 meters blues
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:29:38 -0500 (EST)

Sounds like maybe the tuner is heating up perhaps caused by a very low
impedance load you are attempting to match. Try  using a dummy load
through the tuner and see if you have the same problem This will determine
if the problem is in the Omni or the antenna system. If the problem goes
away when using the dummy load then you may configure the antenna to
present a different load to the tuner by changing either the length of the
antenna or the feedline. Just add about 8ft of feedline and see what
happens.

Steve N4LQ

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Jason Reber wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this:   28.0 - 28.5Mhz
> on my Omni D (series b) acts strange when attempting to tune up my 10 meter
> dipole using an MFJ antenna tuner. When I reach a good match (with the Omni
> mode switch in the lock posistion), the SWR meter on the Omni D dips to 1:1,
> but then starts slowly creeping up, even though I'm not touching the antenna
> or XMTR adjustments on the tuner. If I attempt to transmit in CW mode when I
> have a good match, drive is low. An increase in drive (to the point that the
> ALC light is just coming on) causes the SWR to go up again. If the key is
> held down, the SWR will go high and then creep down slowly. (This is observed
> on both the Omni meter and the antenna tuner meter).
> I am sure the problem is realted to the ALC, but not sure exactly what is
> going on. The problem only occurs on 28.0 - 28.5 Mhz. All other bands work
> fine- once the antenna is matched, the SWR stays low, as expected.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Jason  KA7UAM

Steve Ellington N4LQ