TenTec

[TenTec] weird noise on 10 meters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] weird noise on 10 meters
From: mauro@idt.net (Bob Mauro - PeopleNet)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 07:47:21 -0500 (EST)
On all three of my Ten Tec rigs, i occasionally gets this band-killing QRM
across 10 meters.  it comes in waves, varying from s 6 to s 9 and is
nearly s 0 in a few places.  It sounds like diathermy from the old 1960 CB
days.  It comes at night or the evening.  And the NB does nothing to cut
it, altho on my Omni 6+, if i set the NB knob at about 2 o'clok, i can
null it.

We shut off the Christmas lights, flurescents, but no luck.  Then the
noise vanishes for days.  As i said, i've heard this for years on all of
my rigs.  and only on 10.  Is this like some foreign country jamming, a
local transformer going west on a utility pole, or the sun ready to
explode?  it is kinda frustrating.  it nearly caused me to blow a gasket
when i have been planning to work the 10-meter contest and coundn't on
Friday.  the noise was gone on Saturday, so i had fun on cw and phone
working the TEST.

OK, any idea what this noise on 10 is?  Aliend trying to communicate or
just annoying me???

   Bob Mauro, Mauro@Idt.Net        Amateur Radio Station KZ2G
   My DisAbility Website       http://idt.net/~mauro
   My Amateur Radio Website    http://idt.net/~mauro/kz2g.html
   My Levittown, NY Website    http://idt.net/~mauro/levittwn.html
  Want your disABILITY life story included in my new book?  Click on
                   http://idt.net/~mauro/alife.html
                            for details!