TenTec

RE: [TenTec] QSK with QSK-5PC

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] QSK with QSK-5PC
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:03:16 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 al_lorona@agilent.com wrote:

> Once I questioned the true value of QSK and I questioned how much it's
> really used to actually break in on someone during a ragchew, and I was
> greeted by complete and total silence from the reflector. I don't know
> what the silence meant, honestly.

The mailing list doesn't have QSK capability.

> On a somewhat different point, could someone tell me what is the
> difference in QSK behavior, if any, between running a Ten Tec
> transceiver (let's take an Omni VI as our example) barefoot versus
> running the same transceiver with a "QSK" Ten Tec amplifier in the
> keying loop? In other words, how much "QSK" does one give up after
> adding the amplifier? Thank you.

My understanding of the subject is, the transceiver won't send RF until it
knows the amp is ready for it as a means to prevent clipped dits and
fouled relay contacts.  A nice QSK amp like the Centurion or Titan will
give you full receive between dits so theoretically you should not notice
the difference between with and without the amp running.  There is a
reason Ten-Tec makes mention of the specific type and brand of relay in
the Centurion - you're talking about a LOT of relay operation over time -
got to be a stout relay to stand up to it.

73 Jason N1SU