TenTec

[TenTec] RX-10/TX-100 First QSO/Report

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RX-10/TX-100 First QSO/Report
From: prvalko@oakland.edu (Paul R. Valko)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 00:48:11 -0500 (EST)

Hello Everyone!

Well, my work here is complete :-) tonight was (probably) the first time
in 20 years that a QSO was completed with a Ten*Tec RX-10 and TX-100 combo
as one of the stations.

The lucky guy on the other end was WD8BSG near Dayton.  Don was running a
Kenwood and gave my antique Ten*Tec station a 599 report at 0143Z on
7.050.  Don was also a Ten*Tec fan having owned a C22, 544 and Scout.
He'll have a hard time tomorrow if he trys to tell the guys on the
repeater that he worked a ham using a Ten*Tec transmitter that had tubes
in it!

The TX-100 is crystal controlled.  I only own 3 FT-243 style rocks and
they are all for 40M.  The RX-10, like all old Ten*Tec direct conversion
receivers is a nightmare when it comes to SW broadcast band (5MHz)
interference/overload.  I tip my hat to those that used these rigs on a
regular basis back in the 1970s.

The two units are connected as follows, the antenna feeds the RF-output
jack on the rear of the TX-100.  A coax then connects the receiver-output
jack to the antenna input jack on the RX-10, as the TX-100 thoughtfully
contains the antenna switching relay circuit.

The key goes to a 1/4" plug on the rear of the TX-100.  An RCA phono-type
cable plugs a key-out jack on the TX-100 to a key-input jack on the RX-10.
This is used to generate a side tone internally to the RX-10.  It works
great, but it's not *really* needed as the RX-10 will "hear" the TX-100
quite well while you transmit.  The TX-100 measured 20 watts out on the
Bird 43.

Both units have built in AC supplies so they plug into the wall.  The
RX-10 may also be powered by external 12VDC.

One cool thing about these two rigs is that they both use a little
pilot lamp to make the "sun" in the center of the Ten*Tec logo "glow"
while powered on.  Very neat looking - I wonder why Ten*Tec doesn't do
something like that in the more modern rigs with an LED?

Both my TX-100 and RX-10 are is simply stunning physical condition.  I
am quite proud to have finally completed this Ten*Tec collector "crown
jewel" acquisition - after almost 15 years of trying.  It is right up
there with the unassembled MR-1 kit I've displayed at Dayton.

I've received a number of emails from friends interested in how I came
about the two rigs.  It simply took a LONG time looking - and a lot of
cash ;-). I know there are others out there - you must simply NEVER GIVE
UP should you want to find one yourself.  We all need to have a holy grail
to search for, it makes life much more interesting... ask the Knights who
say, "Nee!"  Oh, sorry... Monty Python flashback.

73! =paul= W8KC
Collector of Ten*Tecs and other fine plastics
<http://www.acs.oakland.edu/~prvalko>