TenTec

[TenTec] Paragon II Speaker

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon II Speaker
From: ARDUJENSKI@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:34:44 EDT
As you can read in the archives, the speakers in the 961 and 962 leave much
to be desired regarding volume and frequency response. I set out trying a
variety and in general I favor the old communication speakers Hammarlund S-100
and S-200  so far. The non-amplified computer speakers offered a bit better
fidelity but still lacked volume. The Heathkit SB-600 was very loud but lacked
the base. The S-100 and S-200 so far has offered both volume and good
fidelity.

I will continue to try several more for comparison. I suspect that when all
is said and done a speaker like those used in the old guitar amps of about 8in
 size may prove to be a good compromise with their 80-8K frequency response.
If  this is the case, to keep the profile the same height as the rest of the
Paragon  Station, I would mount the speaker horizontally in the enclosure with
both top  and bottom front ports.

But for now I am very pleased seeing what a difference a proper speaker can
and does make with this radio.

Alan  KB7MBI
Woodinville, WA