TenTec

Scout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Scout
From: PChristensen@Continental.com (PChristensen@Continental.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:25:48 -0500
Jim:

I own an Omni Six, Yaesu FT-1000MP, Ten-Tec Argonaut 515 and a Scout.
Of all these radios, I get the most enjoyment from the Scout and for
several reasons:  The receiver audio quality excellent and dare I say
near hi-fi?  It's a solid unit.  I never feel like I have to be delicate
with it.  The difference between 50 watts and 100 watts is nearly
indiscernible and I believe it was an excellent choice given the rigs
size and current draw from typical sources.

Changing band modules is a hastle?  I believe this is perhaps one of the
rig's strong points and I oftentimes compare the Scout's band module
with James Millen's approach to his HRO designs.  There's a lot to be
said for using a module approach for bandchanging.

The Scout's break-in keying and keyed waveform may be better than my
Omni Six.  It's that good.

My only complaint with the Scout is that I notice some backlash  when
tuning the VFO.  This is due to the fact that it is a PTO and an
inductor is used to tune the VFO.  Yes, this is the same approach used
by Collins.

If you want a start-up radio with a good, solid and fundamental design,
look closely at the Scout.

-Paul