TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Carrier null on Omni VI; SSB switching transient

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Carrier null on Omni VI; SSB switching transient
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:08:34 -0500
I also had this problem.  I had a pretty big spike on keying the mic
and also a smaller one on release.  Nulling the carrier was the
solution (actually it didn't make the spikes go away completely but it
did reduce them quite a bit) but it is tricky.  You have to go back
and forth between LSB and USB to get a good null for each sideband.

On a stock Omni VI, the cxr null pot is a single turn component.  This
makes the null extremely sharp and frankly, in my case at least,
getting a good one was almost impossible.   In the past, some hams
have reported good results from replacing the stock single turn with a
multi-turn trimpot.  They are easily available from Mouser.  They make
the null a lot wider and easier to get into the minimal sweet spot.  I
have not done this because I only use mine on CW now so I am only
reporting what I have heard from others.

73

Rob / K5UJ