TenTec

Re: [TenTec] SO3R Antenna

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SO3R Antenna
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:44:28 EST

In a message dated 2/17/06 2:44:24 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
mike_n4nt@charter.net writes:

An SO3R  antenna solution...  Years ago, not knowing how to properly match
all  3 elements of a cubical quad to one feedline, we used 3 separate
feedlines  which terminated to a terminal strip.  We were able to use all 3
elements at the same time with no interference between rigs.  That is  sorta
cheap and dirty but worked really well for us.  Europe and the  USA were at
the same azimuth from us.

Mike  N4NT

Mike is correct, this is not a real new method. Back in 1969, at  the
WA8LYF/K8HLR (now K8LX and K8IA) Multi-Multi operation in MI we had two full
sized
quads. One of them was a conventional 4 element 10-15-20m affair  on a 80'
tower. The other was a 10-15-20-40m quad ( 4 element 10 thru 20 and,  yes, the
2
el 40m section was full-sized) on 120' tower. All seven elements were
separately fed.

There was some minor rx interactions but nothing that couldnt be  eliminated
by coaxial stubs. Yes, stubs are another technology that goes  way back in
time, since fancy bandpass filters werent generally  commercially available
then.
Of course, the receiver front ends of the  S-Lines, Drake Lines we used were
significantly more robust than what  you find today.

73, Bob  K8IA
nr The Superstition Mtns
Arizona, USA

http://members.aol.com/bobk8ia/