TenTec

Omni VI

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Omni VI
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 96 14:54 EDT
I've always wondered about the shielding on the TenTec rigs. Take the Omni-6
for
example. The top and bottom covers are painted and no obvious provisions
have been made for properly grounding the covers to the chassis. Furthermore,
the 8 phillps head screws that hold the covers on are insulated from them
with nylon washers, probably to prevent paint chips.

What ever happened to the old TVI prevention measures that included copper
plating, conductive fingers and multitudes of screws? From my Omni 6, I was
able to easly receive the 9mhz oscillators across the room even with the
covers on.
I can only immagine how easily 42 MHZ would radiate through the covers.

If this is a big problem, perhaps you can take your own measures to prevent it.
First try to determine where the leak is then try bypassing or shielding
measures. I'de start by removing the nylon washers and scraping the paint off
the covers so the screws can make contact 73

Steve Ellington N4LQ@iglou.com