TenTec

[TenTec] The 'big loop' question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] The 'big loop' question
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (rohre)
Date: 23 Sep 1997 15:54:12 -0500
Bill,
Remember it is a dynamic system.  "Swarms of photons" are being exchanged
between the electromagnetic "field" and the loop; with some of the energy
leaking to space on each reflection from the ends of the antenna.  It is an AC
current you are measuring, and there are photons exchanging energy with the
antenna circuit where you are measuring the current.  A recent British
publication had a piece on how Physics should be consistent and teach
electromagnetics the way they teach particle Physics, and get away from the
incorrect ether concepts of James Clerk Maxwell.  Maxwell's Equations work
even though he was one of those postulating an "ether" and magnetic and
electric fields to explain action at a distance, while the modern view is the
energy is swarms of tiny photons or more generally, quanta with the properties
we have called fields.

 This appeared in "Electronics and Communications Engineering Journal, Aug.
1997, by Professor William Gosling. That is a British publication, and this
was a welcome concept to me, for I had long wondered about the concepts as
generally taught, and how that all fits into what had been Atomic Physics when
I grew up.

Stuart,
K5KVH