TenTec

[TenTec] Aux Antenna

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Aux Antenna
From: seweber@netnitco.net (seweber@netnitco.net)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:07:05 -0500
>Hi,
>Scott makes a good point about external protection for the antenna inputs to
>not only the same rig, but other rigs in the typical shack.
>
>Storms with lightning approaching are not the only source of static buildup.
>Wind blown snow storms with low humidity air, and dust blowing in desert areas
>can build up significant voltages on the antenna. Desert or Great Plains winds
>are significant sources of voltage buildup.
>
>An SOP for either transmitting or receive antennas that can bleed off this
>static charge is to use gas tubes to ground, or even to have high value
>resistors to ground, such as 100K ohm, which will not bleed much power either
>transmitting or receive from the rig, but which will keep the voltage from
>static buildup in a blowing wind condition from incrementing the voltage
>developed over the antenna.
>
>73, Stuart K5KVH

 Stuart:  The idea of a 100K resistor from the xmitter output to ground is
intriguing,  Does this REALLY cause essentially no problem but continually
drain off static buildup???? (sounds like a laundry commercial --- that
static cling!)   I have a longwire and USUALLY ground it when not in use,
but as seniliy approaches I often forget.  Any one else doing this??  Any
comments from the group?

Inquiring minds want to know.

73 KD9BO

Steve Weber,
seweber@netnitco.net

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he  thinks he already knows." --
Epictetus