Topband

RE: Topband: Tophat? Does it have to be at the top?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Tophat? Does it have to be at the top?
From: "N2TK" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 07:44:45 -0400
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Thomas Kuehl
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 1:59 PM
To: Bill; topband@contesting.com

Bill,

The capacity hat should only be placed at the top of the vertical element.
Placing the hat any lower on the element essentially chokes off any current
flow above the hat making the antenna electrically shorter. The amount of
choking will depend on the capacitance of the hat.

Force 12 successfully uses small "hats" that act as traps in some of their
multiband antenna designs. There was a 20/15/10 meter design a few years
back that used this technique. They now employ the same concept in the
144/440 Ruby II, VHF/UHF antenna.

'73, Thomas - AC7A - Tucson